Sunday, April 02, 2006

Smooth surface, hard journey


Last month, I posted some photos and thoughts that I captured while visiting my father in the hospital. Utenzi suggested I grab a floor's perspective of something on wheels. Looking through my archives, I realize that I had captured something very similar.

The wheels on this IV pole seem to tell a story. My question to you is this: what story do they tell?

---
BTW, if you haven't yet visited Utenzi's blog, please do so. In a world of compelling reads, his ranks right up there on the must-read list.

9 comments:

David Edward said...

i am a wheel but I go no where, weep for me.

Linda said...

here's the backstory: hard life, worn, torn, rusty; but still working to support (no pun intended) the infirm that come to view this life-saving device with disdain. No one looks down to see this part of the pole, but it is necessary...no, it is VITAL to mobility.

Awesome shot, Carmi...as always!

kenju said...

I read Utenzi everyday, Carmi.

Those wheels have been everywhere and seen everything. They look the worse for the wear, but they can still perform their duties, no? Just because something has seen better days doesn't mean it should be laid to rest.

Puck said...

I saw you comment over on Sarah's blog about mixmania! - come on over to my blog and all the rules for the next round are laid out in black & white!

Jim

Heather said...

They tell the story of post-surgical patients pushing themselves to walk so they can go home. They tell the story of the nurses who rush a sick patient down the hall to the OR, cath lab, or CT Scan. They tell the story of hope, loss and miracles.

DeAnn said...

I don't know the story exactly, but it's a bleak and lonely one. And cold.

jennypenny said...

I think those wheels have probably helped to save alot of lives.. its really weird when you think of it like that.

Malinda777 said...

I see rust and struggle on the metal plate, but a strong and clear solid black wheel underneath to carry that struggle to safety.

Nice photo as always and your questions do make me think.

Thanks for an always good read.

Jennifer said...

wow... interesting pix.... you ALWAYS take interesting pix!!!!!!