Saturday, April 25, 2009

Breaking through the glass ceiling


Luminously curved
Toronto, ON, May 2008 [Click to enlarge]

About this photo: It's curved. Which means it fits our latest Thematic Photographic theme, round. Don't know what I'm talking about? Click here and all will be explained.
I often look up when I probably shouldn't. More often than I'd like to admit, I end up walking into things as a result. But it's a small sacrifice, because sometimes I see things that I'd otherwise miss.

To wit, Toronto's Eaton Centre. I generally hate malls and all they stand for. Hang on, please belay that. My issue with them is that they often seem to stand for nothing of any consequence. But that's a rant for another day. End digression.

Despite their origins as temples of conspicuous, shallow and often unnecessary consumption, malls are not incapable of causing little moments of architectural delight as you walk through them. This mall, considered a showpiece mecca in the middle of Canada's largest city, is covered from end to end by this curved glass roof that turns every visit into a unique experience depending on what time of day you walk through.

If you choose to look up, that is.

Your turn: Something neat you've encountered at a mall. Please discuss.

6 comments:

awareness said...

Malls are not my cup of tea, but when I traipsed through the Eaton Centre last March with my son who had never been inside it before, I saw it through his wide eyes...and realized how breezy and spacious it felt because of the ceiling/roof. too bad we had to go into some of those pretentious, precious stores and ruin the ambience.

Mel Fraase said...

When they remodeled, our mall "sold" tiles that would contain a family recipe. If you sit next to one of the pillars in the food court you can read all sorts of family treats and dedications to various relatives to whom they belonged. It's pretty interesting.

craziequeen said...

Our local mall is a gift of glass and metal, quite stunning in its design - and it was designed by the same architect who designed the buildings where I work - you can see the similarities on a day to day basis.

I read down to your next post and not only have the UK banned using mobile phones while driving, but have also extending the crime of 'death by careless driving' to match 'death by dangerous driving' - no excuses now for the selfish nutters.

btw - I often wonder, as I see everyone walking alone with phones clamped to their ears or talking into little wires - how on *earth* did we manage without mobile phones!?!

cq

gemma said...

Lately the trend around here is to build the open mall village thing. It reminds me of when the first mall went into our town. The stores were out there in the open and the whole feel of the place was different. Then they put the roof on and built and built and sprawled and - well, you know. Now, here we are back to the open air. I prefer the open air...somehow it feels safer but that's probably because it reminds me of when I felt safer, home with the folks and only worried about finishing that paper for history class.

NetChick sent me by the way...I love that picture and will have to remember to look up where ever I may be...intriguing things may be just overhead.

srp said...

These days we encounter fewer sales reps and more deep discounts on items. Also managers that walk the floors and speak to as many people as they can find.... unusual. Oh, yes... fewer shoppers, some like me who looked, but walked away in the end.

I know they want people to spend but you just can't if you don't have it and things like fees for trash service and electric are already going up... never mind this additional tax "cap and trade" thing the idiots in DC are proposing. You can't spend what you don't have and you have even less when government gets through.... depressing isn't it.

Mojo said...

I can't even remember the last time I visited a mall. Oh wait, yes I do. But I was actually meeting someone to go to a movie and only went into the mall to find something to eat and kill time while I waited. Didn't see very much there that qualifies as "neat" (otherwise I'd remember it -- even though it was a year ago) but that selfsame shopping complex (which doesn't stop at the mall, but also has an expansive plaza of other shops and so forth) used to host a (free) live jazz series on Wednesday evenings. I don't know if they still do or not, but taking in some live jazz in the sultry summertime with a gigantic fountain as a backdrop... not a horrible way to spend a few hours.