Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sparked by our national broadcaster

CBC Spark is one of those jewels of radio that reminds me why I fell in love with this medium in the first place, and why it remains so vital to me. On the surface, the show focuses on the intersection of technology and culture. More personally, this is close to where my own journalistic sense has always been, so it's no surprise that my iTunes library always has the latest podcast loaded up (subscribe here).

So, disclosure: I'm a huge fan. And lucky me, I got to be on the other end of the mic for their latest episode, #179. I spoke with Nora Young about a fascinating initiative called PeaceConnector, a service that connects strangers in conflict-ridden parts of the world - think an Israeli teenager and a Syrian protestor, for example - in ways that might have been unthinkable before social media rewrote the rules.

The podcast is available on the episode page here. Or, if you're old school, tune into CBC Radio One over the air tomorrow (Sunday) at 1:05 p.m. local time in most time zones across Canada, or 4:05 p.m. on the west coast. My bit starts at about 35:45 in.

More soon. Lots of journalistic fun brewing from my kitchen table these days.

No comments: