Monday, October 29, 2012

Thematic Photographic 219 - Somewhat worse for wear

Choo!
Woodstock, ON
October 2012





















The world is a tough, often dangerous place. It'll knock you and your precious things this way and that, turning you and them from pristine to worn in a never-ending process of erosion, destruction and decay. No sense lamenting it, mind you, as this is the way the world is supposed to work.

In many respects, we wear those experiences with pride. A scar, for example, is far more than a simple blemish. It's a story, and an invitation to share it with someone willing to take the time. It's history. It's what makes something - and each of us - unique.

So as I stared out the window at the well-worn freight train beside us, I smiled at the beauty inherent in something that's experienced the world so much more richly than something that just rolled off the assembly line. Fresh and new isn't always where we need to be, and for the next week, I hope we'll explore the things that may wear their years with a bit more grit.

Your turn: Take a picture that reflects this week's theme, somewhat worse for wear. If it's worn out, shoot it and share it on your blog. Leave a comment hear letting folks know where to find it. Visit other participants and feel free to repeat the process through the week. Bring a friend along, too, if you're so inclined. And if you're new to the Thematic thing, just click here. You'll have fun. Really.

20 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm allergic to posting pics of myself, or I'd go with one of those!
~

dean said...

Heh: last week's photos (for Travel) would have worked perfectly for this week, but that would be cheating a little.

I found something worn. If I won the lottery (pretty hard since I never buy a ticket) I'd shoot something new for Thematic ever week. :)

CorvusCorax12 said...

Here are mine

fredamans said...

I thought we would be more worse for wear here in Hamilton after the passing hurricane, but she did minimal damage here. In fact, she was so quiet I slept through it.
Here is a building near my home that is worse for wear. The worst thing of it all is this is the back of a local business. Typical in my neighborhood though. Sadly.

http://fredamans.blogspot.ca/2012/10/thematic-photograohic-somewhat-worse.html

Bob Scotney said...

Not a very cheerful lot but here are mine http://bit.ly/W3z8jv

21 Wits said...

Wow Carmi- your words with this theme and what with all that's going on in our world, yesterday, today you really gave me food for thought- and so my post came together through a lunch hour yesterday! Here's mine

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/10/thematic-photographic-219-somewhat-worse.html

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Mine will be up Thursday at 8:30am PDT (11:30am EDT).

http://spokalulu.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/grammatically-speaking/

I didn't know what your theme for the week would be, but when I took this photo 2 weeks ago, I thought it would be fun to use for a Thematic Photographic someday. :)

Jess Brady said...

Hi Carmi!

Loved your thoughts on this! You make great points about the history within even the small, worn items in our lives.

Loved your shot of the rail car - great perspective! Crazy to think of all the miles that car has travelled.

Here's my submission for the week!

http://jessbrady1035.posterous.com/somewhat-worse-for-wear

Kranky Granny said...

Afraid, I have rather scarce of late. Sorry I have not been around much. But, I do have a entry for this weeks challenge.

You will find it here:
http://cashjockysphotos.blogspot.com/2012/11/last-of-old-village.html

Gilly said...

I'll be the worse for wear if I can't get my new computer to allow me to use Windows Live Writer!

Hopefully I'll get it sorted by next week!

Gilly said...

Found one! here at http://gillymaccsphotos.blogspot.com

Gave up Live writer!

Janet said...

I have two very prominent reminders that show my body is somewhat worse for wear...but if I didn't have these two reminders, most likely I'd be dead. Not showing them here, tho LMAO! Not PG enough!

Life and nature: http://fondofsnape.com/?p=4750

photodoug said...

On our leaf-peeping drive came upon this old house.

mmp said...

It's an OLD one from me again.....just here

Kelsea said...

I only have two this week. Loved looking at everyone else's pictures!

http://glimpseoflightbykelsea.blogspot.com/2012/11/somewhat-worse-for-wear.html

Max Sartin said...

Great sets of pictures so far, my addition is here.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

Oooh, having fun with this theme again, right here

Kiwi Nomad said...

Carmi, you always make me think. It takes time to ponder what I might post for the theme- and it surprises me how many 'possibilities' pop into my head. In the end I chose to take some photos of an old and worn cushion, that is actually a treasure from my childhood. http://kiwinomad06.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/tp219-somewhat-worse-for-wear.html

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

First and perhaps last to the party?

Somewhat Worse For Wear
~

Alexia said...

These are so late that probably y'all will have moved on to the next theme, but here are my worse-for-wear shots. And boy, do I feel worse for wear!