Friday, November 08, 2013

On setting the world on fire

"If you are what you should be, then you will set the world on fire."
St. Catherine of Siena
I'm not usually a TGIF kind of person. I don't loathe the workweek for five days as I count the hours until the weekend arrives.

To be fair, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking back to times in my life when I drove a cubicle for a living and may have, ahem, seen things a little differently than I do now. But that was then and I can't very well go back and change it. What matters is today. And today I was lucky to do the kind of work that feeds my soul. I researched stuff. I wrote stuff. I interviewed some really smart people. I did some radio. I wrote some more. I planned for next week.

It was a non-stop day, yet luckily amid the chaos I was able to drive our son to school and, later, our daughter to a program. I hugged the dog while waiting for my tea to steep, and I sat on the front porch for a few minutes to feel the approaching-winter's wind on my face.

And then I went back inside, settled back into my office, put my fingers on the keys and let them fly. I've got to admit it felt good. Better than good. Indeed, it's the place where I probably feel most alive, where I have absolute control over this unpredictable thing called life. Where I feel if I keep at it long enough, I will indeed set the world on fire.

If only I didn't have to stop when Friday turns to Saturday.

So maybe I just won't.

Your turn: How do you set the world on fire?

1 comment:

gilly's camera said...

little eyes open wide, noses scrunch up, tongues stick out and eyebrows wiggle: children painting!