Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Barking up the right tree

Old growth
London, ON
February 2012
Thematic. Dawn & Dusk. Here.
There's a creek near our house that runs through a wooded valley that, thanks to the absence of anything remotely urban or built, is one of the most peaceful stretches of land in a car-mad city that isn't much known for peaceful anything. Over the years, hikers have beaten a narrow, winding path through the trees, and if you follow it far enough, the sounds of traffic eventually fade to silence.

After an early thaw, I took a quiet walk alone in this place because I figured it was only a matter of time before winter sealed it back up again. I put on my boots, fastened my parka, slung the camera over my shoulder and headed out.

I don't remember what I saw as much as I do the feeling of isolation once I got deep into the valley. It felt good for the soul to leave the rush behind and immerse myself in the hush of this place. I stayed out until the late afternoon sun slowly gave way to deep shadow, then reluctantly headed home to warm up and clean the mud off my boots.

I came across this picture in my archives last week and realized it's been too long since I went on a walkabout. I really need to rectify that.

Your turn: Where do you go to get away from it all?

3 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Depends on my mood... it may be my own bedroom, my garden, even a bookstore.... nothing grand, just the act of 'going' does it for me.

MissMeliss said...

My getaways always involve water: the bathtub, the pool, my mother's house in Mexico...I'm not always at my HAPPIEST when I'm in water, but I'm always the most grounded and centered I ever am.

I haven't visited your blog in far too long. I miss interacting with you.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm away from all it most of the time, Carmi.

;-)
~