Friday, December 13, 2013

Before she takes flight

The morning dawns bright
New York, NY
November 2013
For more Thematic dawn & dusk, please click here
I think we all need to slow down a little so we don't miss moments like this one, captured just outside the window of a run-down, blink-or-you-miss-it gate at New York's JFK airport. The windows were filthy, the seating modules were strewn haphazardly around the space and the shredded carpet somehow managed to wrap itself around my shoes.

Not really a place for inspiration, but I tried, anyway, because sometimes inspiration comes from the most unexpected places.

As it was, I stood in this sad example of 1970s-era, Soviet bloc-style architecture and waited a few minutes for the emerging sun to begin painting the sky. Suddenly, even this rather downtrodden aircraft in this rather downtrodden place came into its own.

Maybe there's a broader lesson in this for all of us. Maybe we need to skip a beat before we close the book on that first impression. On this morning, I waited it out and skipped that beat. I'm glad I did.

3 comments:

21 Wits said...

Now that is one cool capture!

Alexia said...

That is such a good picture!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The windows were filthy, the seating modules were strewn haphazardly around the space and the shredded carpet somehow managed to wrap itself around my shoes.

That's how I remember La Guardia!
~