Tuesday, December 16, 2014

On little things that aren't so little

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault
The only thing I'd change here - as if I could ever change someone else's quote, but humor me for a moment - is the "may" part.

Indeed, little things are big things, but most of us seem too preoccupied to pick up on that subtle cue. When you run out of "things" - or, to be more precise, time - you quickly realize the smallest moments are, in the end, the only things that matter.

Your turn: What's the most important little thing that's happened to you - lately or ever?

1 comment:

MissMeliss said...

It's sappy I know, but one of the little things that happened to me - and I've told you this before - was learning - FROM YOU - about the concept of tikkun olam. Not only did it give me a glimpse into my stepfather's culture that I hadn't had before, but it's given me a really GOOD interview question. One I used when I interviewed Peter Yarrow in 2009 (still my most special interview EVER) and one I asked of Richard Dreyfuss at a sci-fi con (no, really) last February, which actually got him to engage in a way he hadn't all day.

Two little words for such a big concept, a concept that speaks to my UU and Episcopalian soul as much as it does to yours, I'm sure, because really, some things are - or should be - universal.

Two little words that have resonated with me for all the years that I've been reading your stuff.

I don't comment here much any more, and I barely write in my own blog, now...but in giving us your thoughts on those words, you've made a great gift out of a little thing like blogging.